Everybody needs a bit of inspiration to live through this world, which is so crazy and amazing both at the same time that sometimes it can be hard to just keep staring at the wall or the blank sheet of paper in front of you.
Author John Dufresne gives out some helpful and important techniques for crafting characters and storylines in this Tedx Video.
The followings are some of the highlights that I particularly liked:
- Everything that you do not want to happen to yourself, your family and friends should happen to your characters.
- The writer is the one who is not stopped or even faced by failure.
- You write about what you don’t understand. What you don’t know is more important that what you know.
- Life is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.
- The plot to every story is this: there is a central character who wants something intensely and reaches out for it. At the end, the person wins or losses.
And do not forget to check out the video. Certainly, ideas worth sharing.
What are your tips and techniques for writing and shaping characters?